< Back to Info Hub



For those officials attending the Ausralian Youth Water Polo Championships ONLY - please see below updates.

Parent exemptions 

  • Volunteer parents who are providing services or conducting activities at the sporting event that their child is participating in do no require a blue card
  • WPA strongly encourages all officials to still hold their home state Working With Children Check (WWCC)

Coaches and managers

  • Coaches and managers who are not parents of children directly involved in that team will require a blue card screening if they are providing services or conducting activities with children in Queensland for more than seven days in a calendar year
  • WPA requires all Coaches and Managers to hold a WWCC from their home state, regardless of how many days they will be in Queensland

Linking Blue Card Accounts

  • People who are required to hold a blue card for this event can link to Water Polo Queensland as it is the host organisation and is thereby engaging the participants in the event. WPA will provide instructions in due course.


New Working with Children policy for Queensland, known as “Blue Card”, have come into effect which will impact those volunteers and coaches that will be in Queensland longer than 7 days for the Australian Youth Water Polo Championships and/or Australian Waterpolo League.

As part of Water Polo Australia’s commitment to safeguarding our young people, all volunteers and officials are required to have a Working with Children Check, relevant within their home State, to be able to par take in our sport.

HOWEVER - the new policy in Queensland is that anyone volunteering or working in the State for a period longer than 7 days, who will be in contact with people under the age of 18 years old, is required to have a Queensland Blue Card.

Despite Water Polo Australia and Water Polo Queensland’s lobbying to exempt sport volunteers from requiring to obtain an additional working with children check, we unfortunately have been unsuccessful. The Queensland Government have implemented these new measures which our events must adhere to.

What does this mean for you?

If you are working with children at the AWL and/or AYWPC and will be in Queensland for more 7 days, you will be required to obtain a Blue Card.

What do I need to do?

Fill in the Remote Pack application for a Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) Customer Reference Number (CRN).

The Remote Pack includes the following documents:

Getting a Customer Reference Number for your blue card application form - click to download

New Customer Application (QF3503) form - click to download

Specimen Signature (QF2127) form - click to download

Evidence of Identity Requirements for Individuals (QF4362) form - click to download

Once you have received your TMR CRN, you can apply for a blue card online. You must wait until you have received your TMR CRN before you can submit your application for a BLUE CARD.

Blue Card Application Forms

To apply for a volunteer or student blue card - click here

Queensland Blue Card for Volunteers - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Would I still be accepted on pool deck if my QLD Blue Card is pending?

Yes, as long as you:

  • Have the proof of a Qld Blue Card application.
  • Have a relevant Working With Children (WWC) check in your home State

If you do not have a WWC you are NOT permitted on pool deck.

How long does it usually take to get a Customer Reference Number (CRN) number that is required as part of the QLD Blue Card process? How long does it usually take to get a Blue Card?

  • Currently, the processing time for QLD Blue Card applications lodged through the online portal is approximately 5 days however it can be as little as 4 hours.
  • The blue card is then valid for 3 years which will include the 2023 AYWPC.
  • The purpose of obtaining a Customer Reference Number from the Department of Transport and Main Roads is to strengthen and streamline the identification process.

Is AWL considered an event where Blue Cards are mandatory?

  • Anyone dealing with or who has the potential to deal with 18U players must have one, so our recommendation is that everyone has one.

What does it mean when it assk for my account number when applying for a VOLUNTEER Blue Card?

  • When you receive your CRN you will also receive an account number. Please put the account number in this section. Once you have received your Blue Card number, please email info@waterpoloaustralia.com.au with your Team Name, Name, Blue Card Number, Date of Birth and if you have a Volunteer or Paid card.